Scammers are hitting the streets in the metro Atlanta area, and they are targeting homeowners and their roofs. Keeping your roof in tip-top shape is important, as it protects your home from damage and helps your house maintain its resale value. With this in mind, scammers will use a variety of tactics to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners (especially older homeowners) Here’s what you should know.
5 Roofing Scam Warnings
How do you know if the roofer at your door is legitimate or not? Here are a few warning signs to watch out for:
- Roofers who show up at your door immediately after a storm. These are called “Storm Chasers.” They prey on your vulnerability after a storm, often doing shoddy work or worse yet, grabbing a deposit and disappearing.
- The “I was just driving by” tactic. Reputable roofers rarely show up on your doorstep announcing that they “noticed a problem” while driving by or doing work for a neighbor. Good roofing contractors are too busy to make unsolicited house calls.
- A contractor who offers to “Cover Your Deductible.” Not only is this a poor way to handle his business, in some states it is illegal!
- Offering a limited time offer. Sure, everyone offers special deals from time to time, but when those deals “expire today,” beware — it may be a scam! You should never feel rushed into making a decision. High-pressure tactics like this may signal a disreputable dealer.
- Asking for large deposits (or offering a big discount for paying the entire bill upfront). This is a huge warning sign that you will never see the contractor again.
- We’ve even seen roofers go up on a roof and intentionally damage the roof and then state it is existing damage. The insurance carriers are very wary of these type of scams.
Knowing When Your Roof Needs Attention
One of the biggest scams being perpetrated right now is convincing homeowners that they need a new roof when in reality they may only need a few small repairs. So, how can an inexperienced homeowner know when their roof is in need of repair or replacement?
Offering a limited time offer. Sure, everyone offers special deals from time to time, but when those deals “expire today,” beware — it may be a scam! You should never feel rushed into making a decision. High-pressure tactics like this may signal a disreputable dealer.
Visible Signs to Watch For
Your roof comes under a constant barrage of abuse. In addition to damage from storms, every day conditions such as wind, rain, and fluctuating temperatures can take a toll on your roof. That’s why it is always a good idea to have a quality inspection done on a regular basis. Addressing roofing issues sooner can help to minimize possible damage and the cost of repair or replacement.
Still, you need to watch for signs of trouble between inspections. Here are a few signs that your roof needs attention:
- Missing shingles or loose shingles found in your yard
- Watermarks on the ceilings inside or even signs of water on the exterior of your home
- Excessive amounts of granules in your gutters or near your downspouts
- Buckled or cupped shingles
- Finding a Qualified Professional
- Finding a reputable roofer doesn’t have to be hard. When choosing a roofer to handle your job, the experts at Quality Craftsmen recommend asking these important questions:
- Can I see copies of your certifications, insurance, and work permits?
- Who have you worked for in the past? Be sure to ask for customer referrals as well as the addresses of previous customers so you can check out their work.
- What type of roofing work do you specialize in?
- How long have you worked in the area?
- What is the total price of the job?
- How long will it take you to finish the work?
- Is there anything special I need to know about my roof?
Call Quality Craftsmen for All of Your Roofing Needs
If you suspect that your roof needs help, be sure to call the professional team at Quality Craftsmen. Offering a complete line of roofing services, our trained team only uses materials from the most trusted manufacturers such as Owens Corning & GAF with industry-leading warranties. We also install gutter guards and other low maintenance solutions that are perfect for those who are aging in place. Call us today for a free consultation.
Subscribe to Quality Craftsmen's Blog